After a successful flow test of a combined heater and aircon unit I just had to finish heater V2. So I started replacing cardboard and duct tape with sheet metal.
And added the bottom.
and TIG welding the whole thing.
At the lowest point I added two drain tubes.
And test fitted the whole thing with the modern evaporator.
It did fit but was quite tight. The aluminum evaporator directly toughed the metal casing at some areas. Over there cold would leak away. Therefore I created some more space around it to be able to add isolation material.
I added deflectors on the inside to ensure a optimum flow from the blowers towards the evaporator.
Window demist connection
Next to the side and front vent outlet having front window demist is required for the MOT. my idea was to make a splitter with a valve so I made a bushing on the lathe.
And welded it onto the tube.
For the other side I also made one also at the exacte right inner diameter for the axle.
Which therefore exactly fitted. I added a groove for a locking clip.
Next, I used the mill to flatten one part of the axle to be able to attach a flap.
That allows me to open and close the front window demist flow.
Another testfit under the dash.
One ventilation hose will go across the heater and the other one almost directly goes into the stock outlet.
To make sure not all airs flows towards the front outlet all the time, I needed to add a flap..
With the hinge on top it would be easiest to build the controls. However that was not really an option since in the open position a large proportion of the airconditioning evaporator was blocked.
So the front flap hinge needs to be at the bottom. But it was time for another flow test first.
Unfortunately even with the sides and front outlet blocked there was hardly any flow towards the front window demist. Relying on just over pressure is not enough. To have a proper demist function I need to build on the flow direction. Time for a new plan.
Attaching the hose connections directly onto the sloping front without any valves.
While having the front flap hinge at the bottom. I made some axle bushings, stud welded some bolts and used some clamps from 220V plugs.
So front flap V2 emerged.
I found a nice lever for the controls.
However it turned out moving the lever was quite heavy and getting the cable in was difficult. So I used the old choke mechanism and another lever.
Now the controls operate nicely!
And also the new flow test was successful.
Now only the last bits and pieces for the heater need to be done.