My previous blogpost about selling my CALB batteries is already two weeks ago. I’ve been working on the new wiring harness and bought some special parts for my electric combi.
I ordered some additional wiring for the wiring harness. I’ll be using FLRY-B, which is Automotive low voltage cable (FL) with reduced insulation thickness (R) made of PVC (Y) and irregularly stranded conductor (B). Despite the fact that I will upgrade most lights to LED, I amd implementing an upgrade. Where Volvo originally used 0,75 or 1,0 mm2 copper, I’ll be using 1,5 mm2 and 1,5 becomes 2,5.
Furthermore I also already bought some high voltage sleeve. The RDW requires all high voltage cables to be orange.
I use the old wiring harness as an example together with some schematics.
I will be creating the new wiring harness directly in the car and not on a board first like some others do.
The original fuse box is going to be replaced by four new ones. Two for the regular 12v functions and two for the new electric components. Each zone gets a fusebox that is always on and one that is switched by the contact.
Fits just next to the bonnet hinge in closed position.
Since the wiring harness needs to be taken out of the car for sandblasting and painting, I add labels containing information where they belong.
Furthermore I have bought some special parts or at least come to a design decision. I have decided to use a 700W DC-DC converter instead of a 400W.
It seems to fit quite nicely in the front just next to the controller.
Having the controller in this new position, there is even less room for the 12v battery. In an electric vehicle one does not need a big battery, but small ones are not available in the pole orientation I want. Therefore the 12V battery will consist of 4 CALB 40 Ah cells. Still CALB in the car after all 😉
Furthermore I found a spare M400 gearbox.
Which I dropped off at Volvo Lotte for inspection.
Furthermore I bought a Pierburg CWA50 pump to be used for my cooling circuits. I ordered the connector parts at the BMW dealer.
The advantage of this pump is that it can be PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controlled. I already have a Siemens LOGO PLC onboard and it should be able to generate a PWM signal. Just need to figure out how.
Furthermore I bought a new lightened flywheel.
And finally a nice brake adapter.
This allows using a Audi brake booster on a Volvo Amazon, even in combination with the original Volvo master brake cilinder. However, unfortunately that setup does not fit next to the batterybox.
So I’ll be using the external Lookheed brake booster. Since it is external, it can be positioned more flexible.